SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

just one tiny point: the reason I use uuid rather than diskXsY is that I don't want my booting to break if I change the number or arrangement of hard disks on my system. For example, plugging in a USB hard disk makes that disk0. For my money, uuid is a more robust approach, cos it won't change.

Munky: You make a good point about the vulnerability of the rd=diskXsY format. However, when I tried to insert boot-uuid=xxxxx into the Boot.plist I could not get the system to boot. With or without the -f flag I always got a waiting for root device error. As soon as I switched back I could boot again.

That said, I know there must be some problem loading the kext files or I would not need the -f flag. So, these two may be related.

--- BladeRunner

hi there....

i tested 3d mans iso

same kernel panic right after getting root device

nfs_boot networking is not initialized

nfs_boot_init failed with 6⧵n"@"SourceCache/xnu...

any ideas???

thanx in advance

UPDATE

booted succesfully into installer

choosing the wrong partition of the retail dvd ;-)

one question at last

the installer told me guid partition is needed for installation...right?

is it possible to setup on mbr partition?

thanx for helpin out fellas

Just a random thought, but I figured this was the place for it.. if the kernel can be loaded from initrd with

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched

then could com.apple.boot.plist be loaded from initrd in the same way, say with:

config=rd(0,1)/com.apple.Boot.plist

thus allowing efi strings and all the rest of the goodies to be used?

;)

oh & ps my sse2 server updated to 10.5.5 from software update without a hitch. however as it retained its stagexnu 9.4.0 kernel I expect usb drives won't work until I update that separately. (it doesn't use any so, wouldn't know)

Just a random thought, but I figured this was the place for it.. if the kernel can be loaded from initrd with
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.patched

then could com.apple.boot.plist be loaded from initrd in the same way, say with:

config=rd(0,1)/com.apple.Boot.plist

thus allowing efi strings and all the rest of the goodies to be used?

:2cents:

oh & ps my sse2 server updated to 10.5.5 from software update without a hitch. however as it retained its stagexnu 9.4.0 kernel I expect usb drives won't work until I update that separately. (it doesn't use any so, wouldn't know)

Have you tried Voodoo kernel it should work should make your pc faster

Can anyone add http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335 and is there anyway bladerunner you can make an Bootble usb kind

Well, two things - at least. Munky had asked me to create a minimal boot-132 iso. One that contained just the items need to boot my system. That's what I did. I didn't set out to make a generic iso usable on a range of P4 systems. That's why many of the kext found in the 3dman iso are not in mine. I had not intended to provide it to anyone except Munky. Still, since it has been retrieved over 30 times (hopefully useful to some of the 30) I am glad I did.

As for USB. I assume you mean loaded on a usb stick. The current iso will already boot a hard drive located on an external usb. I am working on getting it loaded on a usb stick. Not much luck so far :{ The thing I think would be good about the usb stick, aside from the speed, is the ability to patch it without burning another cd.

Tested on pentium D and Gigabyte 945PLGE motherboard, it works perfect, my PC never worked like this! only HDA is patched.

So I made a iso image for others to have:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=aa6dbe6...2db6fb9a8902bda

I pute inside:

- AppleACPIPS2Nub and PS2Controler, for PS2 keyboard, mouse and trackpad support

- IOATA and VIATA with PXII kexts for fixing "waiting for boot... and all that jazz"

- AppleDecrypt with fixed verbose mode so your install will be legal (ha ha)

- AppleSMBIOSEFI for proper Systemprofiler (only AppleSMBIOSEFI works after 10.5.5 update, superhai SMBIOS broke my SisteProfiler)

- Latest 9.4 voodoo xnu kernel so it won't panic because of EFI kext

Kernel is named voodoo not mach_kernel

so you boot with:

rd(0,1)/voodoo rd=diskXsY or with uuid

I must say that this was a one of best installations of osx of all versions I ever instaled. Booting retail image on this PC was never even a dream in my mind. And now is real.

after instalation I instaled chameleon for hd and puted HDAEneabler in Extra/Extensions folder for my modified AppleHDA.kext coz my sound card was azal and now is shown as HDEF)

For graphic I used EFI studio for graphic card and network. I updated to 10.5.5 with no problems.

Hagar: I didn't even realize u could specify an alternate location for boot.plist. If that works, I can make my install back into a 'zero modifications' one, as my extra kexts etc are stored on efi partition.

As for USB, if you mean the usual USB mount breakage caused by mismatch of kernel and System.kext, I put the correct System.kext in my extras folder. Treating the kernel and System.kext as one atomic unit seems to be a sensible approach.

ha. I just realized I was being a fool. The point of my modified boot.plist is to save me having to typebstuff on boot. Still, specifying one parameter (for boot.plist on ramdisk) would be handy in situations where u want to share a USB drive between a real mac and a hack.

Trying to make a step-by-step--- what would be the first?

I have a Pentium-D 930 (dell dimension e510 / 5150n), and could load virtually every OSX previously released (Tiger from JaS, XXX, Kaliway, and Leopard from iAtkos, ToH, Jas and Kaliway too), but with this method I can't get past installation, more than into a black screen. I asume it's because I'm installing into a GUID, and my computer doesn't have EFI.

1. Anyway, should one begin with an unpartitioned HD, and use Disk Utility to create de GPT partition, or use another tool (as GParted) to pre-setup the drive? If that's so, which settings are the best?

2. Once you install, should you boot again with the Boot-132 disc, so you can load the kernel into de Ram Disc?

3. How can you copy those "permanent" files into the hidden EFI partition?

4. This works with the retail disc (I have 10.5), but shouldn't with, i.e. my IMac's Leopard DVDs?

Thanks!

My black screen was due to a cable problem. The hard drive MUST be attached (in my dell at least) to the first SATA port.

I've given up on vanilla install, and went to try JaS 10.5.4, only to get a similar error. That's when i realized I had previously had it working over other sata port. Changed it back, and my JaS's was working OK, so now I'm going to try vanilla again, using MadTux's iso.

Ok guys, good news. Turbo gave me a 'clean' copy of his modified bootloader, and ok'd it for release.

I have posted a howto for booting from the EFI partition here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

Thread contains a download link for the modified bootloader files.

Enjoy!