HP dv6835nr nearly perfect install!

jchpdv6835

17 posts in this topic

I don't know if any of you happened to catch the best buy sale a last week on the new HP dv6835nr laptop but for $699 for a 15" laptop with the core 2 duo (T5550 1.83ghz), 3Gb ram, Intel GMAX3100, and a 250Gb hard drive, I couldn't pass it up. I was hoping that it would make a relatively painless osx86 platform, and much to my surprise, it was. the only thing that isn't up and running is the web cam which i guess is an ongoing problem and i don't really care if it ever is supported, it'd just be nice to say i have it working 100%

Also, i haven't gotten to testing the 5-in-1 or the expansion slot yet

Scroll doesn't work but I think there's a way to get that up and running but i haven't had time to mess with that either.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.2. iatkos 1.0i failed to load to the installer, and Leo4allv2 would fail on the mail package part of the install. Could have been bad burns but im not sure. I prefer Kalyways tho, for the abilty to switch kernels on boot. which the other may have too, idk, i haven't tried them.

I do by no means consider this a "how to" im just passing along some information that may be useful to some of you.

to start out, this laptop is equiped with the following devices. These were the ones I was most concerned about getting working.

Wifi: Broadcom 4315 - VEN_14E4 DEV_4315 (need modified IO8211family.kext w/added string)

Video: GMAX3100 - VEN_ 0x8086 DEV_0x2a02 (QE/CI resolution and external monitor all work on this one)

Audio: Realtek HD - VEN_10EC DEV_0268 (use ALC268_Installer1. will mess up shutdown.)

I've uploaded all the files to rapid share (including the Graphics update. 50mb download) I used along with a couple of other text documents on what to do with them. couldn't remember if i could post download links to that stuff in here so pm me for that.

Hope this helps some of you, and thanks to all those who helped me get this up and running.

Also, someone may want to ad this stuff to the H.C.L. I searched that and found that some of this stuff wasn't on there.

• 3 weeks later...
Wifi: Broadcom 4315 - VEN_14E4 DEV_4315 (need modified IO8211family.kext w/added string)

I have presario compaq v3000 (v3717) got dell 1396 wireless

device id Broadcom 4315 - VEN_14E4 DEV_4315 ..modified the IO8211family.kext

with it. still cant get airport..

will you tell me your methhod in detail..

i just added device id

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I don't know if any of you happened to catch the best buy sale a last week on the new HP dv6835nr laptop but for $699 for a 15" laptop with the core 2 duo (T5550 1.83ghz), 3Gb ram, Intel GMAX3100, and a 250Gb hard drive, I couldn't pass it up. I was hoping that it would make a relatively painless osx86 platform, and much to my surprise, it was. the only thing that isn't up and running is the web cam which i guess is an ongoing problem and i don't really care if it ever is supported, it'd just be nice to say i have it working 100%

Scroll doesn't work but I think there's a way to get that up and running but i haven't had time to mess with that either.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.2. iatkos 1.0i failed to load to the installer, and Leo4allv2 would fail on the mail package part of the install. Could have been bad burns but im not sure. I prefer Kalyways tho, for the abilty to switch kernels on boot. which the other may have too, idk, i haven't tried them.

I do by no means consider this a "how to" im just passing along some information that may be useful to some of you.

to start out, this laptop is equiped with the following devices. These were the ones I was most concerned about getting working.

Video: GMAX3100 - VEN_ 0x8086 DEV_0x2a02 (QE/CI resolution and external monitor all work on this one)

Audio: Realtek HD - VEN_10EC DEV_0268 (use ALC268_Installer1. will mess up shutdown.)

I've uploaded all the files to rapid share (including the Graphics update. 50mb download) I used along with a couple of other text documents on what to do with them. couldn't remember if i could post download links to that stuff in here so pm me for that.

Hope this helps some of you, and thanks to all those who helped me get this up and running.

Also, someone may want to ad this stuff to the H.C.L. I searched that and found that some of this stuff wasn't on there.

hi mate,

i need that modified wifi kext by you...for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C&REV_01

could you pls post it here?

regards.

• 1 month later...

To the owner of the HP dv6835nr,

I am also a HP dv6835nr owner, new to this forum and trying to get the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro going on my system.

Install went pretty smooth, video looks solid but sound plays once then stops never to be heard again. My broadcom wireless does not even show up under "networks" just ethernet and "firewire"?.

Do you still have those "files / drivers" handy for the video, sound and wireless devices? Could you send me the link or information at jjbman@juno.com

TIA, TaiChiBabbo

Beaufort,SC

• 5 weeks later...

i downloaded your torrent from tpb, and have the same laptop just waiting for kalyway to finish. but when you install, does your display work initially or does it require some tweaking? i've been hearing alot about issues with the 3100 giving problems

If you follow the GMAX3100 how to file, it should work out ok. On your initial kalyway install, don't select any video at all. just use the vesa graphics, then when you can at least get up and into the system, follow the instructions. I don't think that svideo out works, but the vga out does.

Clearing out some space on my laptop to try Mysticus's pre/post patches to get it up to 10.5.5.They worked on my "HacPro" gigabyte GA-p35-ds3r board w/a celeron 430 1.8Ghz when nothing else would, so I have high hopes that it'll work on these laptops too.

Keep checking back and i'll post the results

and if it does work i'll let you guys know what to and what not to check on the customize menu.

are you using vista or xp? cuz you can easily re-partition the drive w/o reformatting and get a dual boot setup going. there's tons of guides out there for it. vmware might work, but it'll probably be unstable or very slow. to get the full Leopard experience you shouldn't virtualize it.

you can, if you can shrink your vista partition. right click on "my computer" then go to down to "Manage" then to disk management or something to that effect. Shrink your vista partition and then create a new partition in the un-allocated space. there's tons of tutorials out there for installing on the new partition, the only thing you'll need is a vista install dvd to fix the vista boot loader, and I also recommend easy bcd to edit it incase something doesn't go right. you can use that to change the uuid or whatever if need be.

here's a couple of youtube video tutorials I found, this kid has it all from partitioning, install, and fixing the vista boot loder and

start with this one:

then these:

and then this:

his main page is:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Ortegi...amp;view=videos

with a couple of other video's that may be useful

if you follow his steps it should be pretty straightforward, i think he's got all the bases covered. he shows you better than i could ever explain it.

and also an update to updating: I have not yet been able to get 10.5.5 up and running on the dv6835 using kalyway dvd. however, i have sucessfully installed iDeneb 10.5.5 with the 9.4 stage xnu kernel. for some reason these laptops don't seem to play nice with the vanilla 9.5 kernel.

but 10.5.6 is right around the corner, prolly in the next week or so, so i would advise waiting for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone's still reading this...

I've been trying a few things to make this laptop a better platform for osx86. Many to no avail. I have tried the boot 132 method and did get a retail install to load. I also have been working on getting a retail install going by hijacking the EFI partition on a GUID partitioned hard drive. Both of those methods work, but I have been unsuccessful in getting the wireless to work permanently. I've been able to get it to work but once I restart for some reason it no longer works.

The link to that topic is:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

if anyone has any ideas or solutions, let me know.

I also tried a copy of iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) and that works with the xnu 9.4 kernel. other than that I haven't been able to get this laptop up to 10.5

Thanx

• 5 weeks later...

well i've figured out a way to dual boot without reformatting all my drives. this is probably something stupid haha but i'll say it anyway. what i did was actually tri booting, i had 3 partitions. 1 vista, 2 empty. installed osx, then ubuntu on the 3rd partition so i can use the grub bootloader, which in my opinion is very easy. but now i've deleted both osx and ubuntu as i'm dual booting vista and windows 7.

• 1 year later...