Asus motherboard keeps multiplying "uefi os" boot options

brandonb21

6 posts in this topic

Every time i reboot my pc using clover it adds another "Uefi os" to my boot order in my bios. i already bricked this board once because their was 20 of them and my motherboard wouldn't get past "A2" post code. so i had to clear cmos and then it booted. but its starting to multiply them again and within a few days it will not post. does anyone know how to stop this?

I don't have a solution for you, but you aren't the only one with this issue. (see also http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307457-getting-very-frustrated-disappearing-boot-options-uefi-os/ ) 

I'm running a Asus Mobo (Z97-A) and I have encountered this issue recently when I started using Clover. (I was using Chameleon previously with Win 10 booting from Legacy mode).

The only thing I can suggest is using rEFInd, to create a USB disk and then use its shell to clear the extra UEFI OS entries. (I suggest that shell as the shell included with clover clears back to the beginning of the prompt after a few key presses. Once in a while I'll be lucky to get the whole command out)

In the shell you want to execute

bcfg boot dump -v 

to see a list of all the UEFI boot options, then use 

bcfg boot rm <NUMBER>

to delete a specific entry.

I just went through this again an hour ago, my Clover disk entry is multiplying.

I don't have a solution for you, but you aren't the only one with this issue. (see also http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307457-getting-very-frustrated-disappearing-boot-options-uefi-os/ ) 

I'm running a Asus Mobo (Z97-A) and I have encountered this issue recently when I started using Clover. (I was using Chameleon previously with Win 10 booting from Legacy mode).

The only thing I can suggest is using rEFInd, to create a USB disk and then use its shell to clear the extra UEFI OS entries. (I suggest that shell as the shell included with clover clears back to the beginning of the prompt after a few key presses. Once in a while I'll be lucky to get the whole command out)

In the shell you want to execute

bcfg boot dump -v 

to see a list of all the UEFI boot options, then use 

bcfg boot rm <NUMBER>

to delete a specific entry.

I just went through this again an hour ago, my Clover disk entry is multiplying.

i did some googling and theirs a program called easyeufi for windows. and it will automatic delete them for you. its a very good program 

There is indeed, but in my case Windows is currently installed in Legacy/MBR mode and EasyUEFI refuses to install on non UEFI installs. Hence I used rEFInd on a USB stick.

Great! I'm having this exact issue and was looking for a solution, thanks!

I'm curious, are you also on an Asus motherboard?