What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

sorry folks, but i will change my amd/ati 4850 against 9800gtx+ cause the amd card will not work with mac osx next three month, 3 month is a long range, too long for me..

why amd/ati will not support with drivers, not in offical way, but they could do it for US!

now i made it with my 7800gt and it works super fine...

I'm having a little buyers remorse from buying this card.

I could return it for a 9800gtx+ but that card didn't even fit in my case without totally removing the hard drive holder thingy (antec). The 4850 fits nicely.

Has anyone tried getting the snow leopard beta working?

hmmm.... I have an extra 20" lcd panel sitting gathering dust that has a native res of 1400x1050. (currently using a 28" at 1920x1200)

I wonder how I could get it to work without having to switch cables whenever I boot into osx?

Do you have the Antec Sonata Case? I have, and it turned out that Gainward´s model of the 9800gtx+ doesnt follow the reference design and is as short as the 4850, works great for me in my Antec Sonata.

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=84

Has anyone else had problems when using the Universal OSx86 installer?

the drop down menus were completely blank.

I'm running 10.5.6 retail.

Do you have the Antec Sonata Case? I have, and it turned out that Gainward´s model of the 9800gtx+ doesnt follow the reference design and is as short as the 4850, works great for me in my Antec Sonata.

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=84

where do they sell that card?

Has anyone else had problems when using the Universal OSx86 installer?

the drop down menus were completely blank.

I'm running 10.5.6 retail.

where do they sell that card?

I´m from Sweden and bought it from www.komplett.se, haven't seen it somewhere else. But the Gigabyte 9800gtx+ 1gb is also smaller than the reference design, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Pr...?ProductID=2918

Just took a look at on the newest snowleo (10a261). It seems the 4800 is supported as a new controller kext was added (ATI4800Controller.kext). However I don't have 4850 for testing, here is a piece from it's info.plist:

<key>Controller</key>																																						 
			<dict>																																										
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>																																		 
					<string>com.apple.kext.ATI4800Controller</string>																													 
					<key>IOClass</key>																																					
					<string>ATI4800Controller</string>																																	
					<key>IOMatchCategory</key>																																			
					<string>IOFramebuffer</string>																																		
					<key>IOName</key>																																					 
					<string>ATI4800Controller</string>																																	
					<key>IONameMatch</key>																																				
					<array>																																							   
							<string>pci1002,9440</string>																																 
							<string>pci1002,9456</string>																																 
					</array>																																							  
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>																																			   
					<integer>65000</integer>																																			  
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>																																			
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>																																		  
			</dict>

It looks very promising and I guess it will give a quite good resolution for the current issues around 4850 and it's brothers :(

uh

would it be possible for someone to backport the driver kext/driver from 10.6 to 10.5?

off topic:

or at the very least can someone tell me how to install the snow leopard beta?

I dont think its fully working yet, so no one has released a version yet...

ATI seem to be half hearted with everything, they refuse to support physx despite the fact that nvidia or even modders offered to help.

I think that is likely due to their quisition of Havok, so supporting it would kinda admit that its better.

would it be possible for someone to backport the driver kext/driver from 10.6 to 10.5?

off topic:

or at the very least can someone tell me how to install the snow leopard beta?

here are the ATI kexts from 10a261:

atikexts10a261.tar.gz

However most likely it would cause kernel panic in 10.5 but you can give a shot :)

Regarding to the installation as far as I know the snowleopard capable boot loader is not available for the public and I am not the person who is leaking it out. Check out the chameleon (chameleon.osx86.hu) site for updates as the new version is going to be released quite soon.

uh

here are the ATI kexts from 10a261:

atikexts10a261.tar.gz

However most likely it would cause kernel panic in 10.5 but you can give a shot :D

Regarding to the installation as far as I know the snowleopard capable boot loader is not available for the public and I am not the person who is leaking it out. Check out the chameleon (chameleon.osx86.hu) site for updates as the new version is going to be released quite soon.

uh

somebody tried those kexts? is this giving you kernel panic?

Hello even though it's my first post, I've been snooping around this forums for some weeks now, and I have OSX86 installed, and am one of the people checking for updates on the HD4800 series every now and then.

I have hd4870 (1GB version) running on VESA using lawlessPPC's 10.5.4, and I am willing to try out this driver, except I'm kind of a noob...

Can anyone tell me which kext (in addition to the ATI4800Controller.kext and IONDRVSupport.kext) I need to load from that package? Also, is there any particular order that I need to load them in? Any help is appreciated.

Hello even though it's my first post, I've been snooping around this forums for some weeks now, and I have OSX86 installed, and am one of the people checking for updates on the HD4800 series every now and then.

I have hd4870 (1GB version) running on VESA using lawlessPPC's 10.5.4, and I am willing to try out this driver, except I'm kind of a noob...

Can anyone tell me which kext (in addition to the ATI4800Controller.kext and IONDRVSupport.kext) I need to load from that package? Also, is there any particular order that I need to load them in? Any help is appreciated.

welcome :)

however I have NVIDIA which works properly under snowleo I suppose you need the following kexts from the original package for testing:

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

but it's better to copy everything to the Extensions folder.

You also have to edit the info.plist for the 4800 controller and add your device id:

<key>IONameMatch</key>																																			   
	  <array>
				<string>pci1002,9440</string>
				<string>pci1002,9456</string>
	  </array>

At this moment there is nothing more, the further steps (if is there any and if is there any chance to get it work under 10.5) are depending on the results. Up until now there are more then 40 downloads and there is only one feedback which makes the "fine tuning" even more complicated :)

uh

sorry for being a noob, but this is my card's info:

device ID: 9440

Vendor ID: 1002

(not sure if this is necessary) Subsystem ID: 0502

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1002

the info.plist already has the same device ID in there :blink: ... so there's no change required, right? I just need to make sure 100%, so that the result is real, and not just my stupidity.

sorry for being a noob, but this is my card's info:

device ID: 9440

Vendor ID: 1002

(not sure if this is necessary) Subsystem ID: 0502

Subsystem Vendor ID: 1002

the info.plist already has the same device ID in there :whistle: ... so there's no change required, right? I just need to make sure 100%, so that the result is real, and not just my stupidity.

Nope, no need to change if its already there.

Up until now there are more then 40 downloads and there is only one feedback which makes the "fine tuning" even more complicated

I would try again with the missing kext, but unfortunately I formatted. It's now up to someone with an install of 10.5 to try taking the gamble again, but like ultrahang said, it's likely to cause a kernal panic.

I'm also slightly pissed that booting into my old install of OS X caused my Windows install to now spend longer on the boot screen for some reason. OS X won't be touching this computer again.

@ ultrahang, thx for the snow kext, could you upload the new opengl please ?

thx in advance

I travelled to the countryside with a laptop for the weekend and left my desktop behind :| I will be able to share the 10a261 frameworks tomorrow evening. Meanwhile here are the kexts/frameworks from 10a222 from a previous post: atigfx_snowleo.tar.bz2

As this is an older version it doesn't contain the 4800controller kext.

Hope this can help for the time being.

uh

I would try again with the missing kext, but unfortunately I formatted. It's now up to someone with an install of 10.5 to try taking the gamble again, but like ultrahang said, it's likely to cause a kernal panic.

I'm also slightly pissed that booting into my old install of OS X caused my Windows install to now spend longer on the boot screen for some reason. OS X won't be touching this computer again.

It's not necessary to install/uninstall/whatever for these kind of tests. Just create a backup from your Extensions folder using terminal:

cd /System/Library
cp -R Extensions backup_Extensions

then you can play whit anything as much as you want and after just start the osx in single mode using -s in the boot menu, mount the root filesystem in rw mode and copy back your backup into the original place:

mount -t uw /
cd /System/Library
rm -rf Extensions*
cp -R backup_Extensions Extensions

Even if you mess something and you are not able to boot don't panic :) Just insert an osx86 dvd into the drive, boot into single mode, mount your osx partition and restore your backups.

uh

:)

I finally tested this with my HD4870 1GB on LawlessPPC's 10.5.4.

I used kext helper and installed the following kexts:

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

When I rebooted...

post-372041-1234044631_thumb.jpg

After this screen, it has the usual ERROR:Firewire message, and then

Continuing

Done

CPU Halted.

These last 3 messages last literally ½ a second, so i couldn't catch it with my camera :(

Computer then shuts down automatically.

Looks like it's no good for 10.5.4 :(

:)

I finally tested this with my HD4870 1GB on LawlessPPC's 10.5.4.

I used kext helper and installed the following kexts:

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

When I rebooted...

After this screen, it has the usual ERROR:Firewire message, and then

Continuing

Done

CPU Halted.

These last 3 messages last literally ½ a second, so i couldn't catch it with my camera :(

Computer then shuts down automatically.

Looks like it's no good for 10.5.4 :(

I cannot see any gfx related message/error. I suppose you should get something like mogster's screenshot, something related to the new kexts. I cannot see the "Jettisoning kernel linker" or "Resettiong IOCatalogue" messages or even a sign of the dsmos/appledecrypt kexts and for me it means that you have a different issue. However I can be wrong but I am not sure that your crash is caused by the ati kexts.

uh