eVGA X58 SLI LE iAtkos v7 ---> Snow Leopard Retail Install Successful! (NO 2 Physical drives Required!)

Vehemens

1 post in this topic

!!THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE WITH MY LITTLE POST IS THAT I DID NOT USE TWO DIFFERENT PHYSICAL DRIVES, JUST TWO PARTITIONED DRIVES AND YOU MUST HAVE LEOPARD TO INSTALL SL FROM AND NO GUID(can use MBR with no issue)!!

Files/Info I used to get this to work:

iAtkos v7

flashGX boot 132 CD and information

Well I guess this may end up being a work in progress and more of a kind of forum blogesque kind of thing to let people with this motherboard know a possibly easier way to install Snow leopard and Leopard. I have been fiddling around with mac osx for about a month and a bit now because I was essentially getting it to work on four very different setups (a laptop and 3 different desktops) so I've dabbled with a bit of it all. I had injected the nforce kexts for my laptop into my iAtkos install but I really didn't need to do that for the desktops functionality obviously.

What I did was installed iAtkos and used the efi nvidia string for video and the realtek r1000 network adapter. I also used these settings at the F8 boot menu:

-v busratio=20 cpus=1

I'll have to go through and see which settings I did outside of that but I kept it to the minimum. I did however use the voodoohda sound so I had everything working at startup - sound, video and networking. I used the ich driver that covered all the intel chipsets and the ichx as well.

After that all installed, I mounted my retail image of Snow leopard and copied the entire contents into a different directory on my desktop so I could put the Osinstall.mpkg inside the System/Installation/Packages area and just ran it from my desktop (if it matters, I did have AHCI enabled for this during the install but that was just a fluke as I was trying the boot132 method prior with no success). It gets to the end of the install but then says that the install failed. I ignored that and proceeded to copy the kext files from the cdboot that flashGX made and then repaired the permissions and rebooted into the SL OS. I boot into it fine but I have no sound currently or networking so I have to go find those for the motherboard and install.

I also have full video or it seems like I have it since I used the EFI string from my Leopard install and copied it over to the boot.plist of my SL install.

This all sounds a bit helter skelter but I'll go back and clean this up with the links and references to the posts I plucked my information from since I've been on pretty much every post you can think of.

I did not have another drive to use to parition to GUID or to format so I had to figure out some other way to get Snow Leopard installed. I'm by no means a guru, pro or anything like that but I wanted to share how I got mine to work for someone else if it will help them.