VMWare

PeriX

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have a (small) problem with Leopard in VMWare... When I try to use Keynote ( I mean when i hit the play button) , the mac is telling me, that i do not have enough vram... Well i thought this would have something to do with 3d acceleration. So installed the SVGA II Driver:

SVGA II Driver

Supports rendering with VMware's Direct3D/OpenGL backend - activate this with a Darwin boot option "-svga3d".

How should I do that??? My VM needs the iDeneb disk to boot up and so I do not have a chance to enter boot commands for my leopard; just for the dvd boot up... But anyway without that command it is not working... I actually do not know if it works when I have this darwin command

So my final question: Does anybody know how to get Keynote working in VM???

I am thankful for all answers.

When I try to use Keynote ( I mean when i hit the play button) , the mac is telling me, that i do not have enough vram...
I'm not sure what it's looking for. The SVGA II has 128MB of VRAM... (check out System Profiler - Graphics/Displays).

There are 2 ways applications can make use of VRAM on a Mac

• via CGSSurfaces in CoreGraphics.
  • Via a GLD plugin (OpenGL) - AKA QE/CI.

If the application needs QE/CI then the driver doesn't support it. If it makes use of CGSSurfaces, then using the "-svga3d" option might do the job...

If you can't enter boot options during boot, then add them to the <dict> in

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Like this

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-svga3d</string>

PS: please make a snapshot before trying this so you can revert if you get in trouble.